Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The many manifestations of parental love

  • Wayne's parents reached Beijing on an overnight train from their home in Zhengzhou, Henan this morning. It has been two years since Wayne's father came to Beijing (the last was in August 2006 when our families met for the first time here - as per pic below). They are here to soak in the Olympics spirit and attend the three events Wayne successfully bid for tickets to - two sessions of gymnastics, and the semi-finals of women's basketball. More than that, them being around has made our home livelier, and the two weeks they are in town will be a chance for Rosabelle to "acquaint" with her Ye Ye and Nai Nai before she pops out (hopefully they will consider spending their CNY in Singapore, heh).
  • I experienced a strong, pulling pain on the right side of my abdomen last night (when sleeping on my right) in the midst of my sleep. It was so bad I could not even switch positions, and only after five minutes, when I moved over, then did the pain subside. I got so worried when I did not feel Rosabelle kick for about 10 minutes, and was so relieved when she started moving so I knew it was probably nothing more than the usual pulling of my ligaments when my uterus expands. However, this pain, unlike the rest of the times, was constant, and almost paralysing...to the point that I woke poor Wayne up to tell him about it (sweet, sweet Wayne was very reassuring...).
  • My mum, as with usual routine, would call me every weekend to chat, and one of the first things she told me on the phone on Sunday was, "Eh, this Friday is the 15th day of the seventh lunar month. You and Wayne better go home early on that day." (embedded in strong Chinese beliefs about the Ghost Festival, and the fact that on the 1st, 15th, and 30th of the seventh lunar month, the ghosts are fiercest/most disruptive).
  • On 10 Aug, defending champion Xian Dongmei won China's first judo gold medal - no mean feat for a 33-year-old lady who just gave birth to her daughter 18 months ago. She is the first Chinese judoka who has managed to win gold medals in two consecutive Olympic Games, and is also the first ever mama Olympic champion in China. Understandably, this meant that she had to resume training shortly after birth, and her very poignant celebratory interview on CCTV made my eyes water. She said something to the effect of, "I really want to thank my husband who has given me much support to my coming back to judo after marriage and giving birth to our daughter, and what I want to do most now is to make up to my daughter whom I have not seen for more than a year."... and upon mention of her daughter, her voice cracked and eyes filled up with tears.

Such is the sweet bliss of parental love, and I am blessed to be able to be showered by it, and to manifest this in return on Rosabelle.

No comments: