Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Etch-a-sketch

I used to own a Etch-a-Sketch in the shape of a tortoise, and remember exchanging it with my neighbour's version of the usual rectangular Etch-a-Sketch when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My mother did not think much of my entrepreneurial streak to help her save money with this toy exchange, and instead gave me a telling-off and commanded me to run back to my neighbour to get the tortoise back. In retrospect, I must have seemed highly insensitive and unappreciative of my mother's efforts in buying me my own special Etch-a-Sketch, and must have been offended that I wanted to 'give it away' for something else...

To encourage Rosabelle to start doodling (and after two failed attempts at crayon doodling), we got her her own Etch-a-Sketch, complete with different shapes for imprinting pictures as well. These days, she likes to remove and place back the shapes, and eversince she found out how to erase the pictures, she will purposely cover the whole surface with a shape before getting some satisfaction from erasing it by pushing the button below sideways.

Wayne cut off the string attaching the magnetic pen to the board, as we could see it was hampering her from holding it. True enough, after we gave her free rein, she started to weld the pen better and this is what she 'drew'... if you ask me, it looks like a haphazard Chinese signature, don't you think? Now, if only she could sign off on handwritten memos to the below gifts we got for our family - picture books, framed photos, and 2010 photo calendars galore for Wayne's and my family. Most of the photos are from those taken by Chocolate Box (might as well milk it for what's it worth, given the amount of money we'd spent!), and I know it will certainly brighten their days!

No comments: