Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Backtrack 10: Hi, Daddy! Hello, Mummy!

(Delayed posting due to swine flu.)

On 17 May, when Rosabelle was trying out porridge for the first time, the nanny and I heard Rosabelle very clearly call “Baba (爸爸)!”. We (nanny and I) looked at each other in amazement, but a pity that Wayne did not hear it. Rosabelle was whispering ‘ba’ a few days back (my mum says they go 'ga’, 'ma’, 'ba’ nowadays, so it’s pretty random), and it was the first time she repeated it, and so loudly. Her daddy must be proud.

Just the other day, when her daddy came back, he said a loud ‘Hi!” to her, and she actually replied an equally loud ‘Hi!’ in enthusiastic response! Pity I wasn’t around, but whether it was by coincidence or not, it was sure very fulfilling to have her replying, and murmuring her first ‘words’!

In the past week or so, whenever she wants to look for me, and wants me to carry/nurse her, she will start saying “M…mu…., M..mu…”, “Ma..ma…ma…ma…”, or “Nai, nai, nai…”, and just on Wednesday morning, cried “Ma….mmeee…, Ma….mmeee…”, and even going “Mama” once!

I’ve read about teaching kids trust and independence by leaving them in the care of others, but it’s times like this when I throw all caution to the wind and will just carry her, and she will reciprocate by clinging on tightly to me. On Tuesday night, when she refused to sleep till 4 am in the morning, she was most clingy and needed me around even when the nanny was patting her. Separation anxiety – seems like it’s most apt to describe the mother’s, not the kid’s, condition!

No comments: